Friends Friday: Agata of Vanilla Reads


I’m very happy to welcome you on my blog! You can please introduce yourself to my readers.

Thank you Isabel for inviting me to take part in your Friends Friday feature! My name is Agata and I'm 25 years old book&tea addict from Poland.

Where do we find your blog and how long have you been blogging / reviewing?


I've been book blogging in my native language for almost 3 years now. Last November I've decided to create a new blog where I can write reviews in English. You can find me at vanilla-reads.blogspot.com


Why have you decided to go into book blogging?

There is a book by Astrid Lindgren called "The Six Bullerby Children" which is an obligatory read in primary school in Poland. I fell in love with it and couldn't stop reading. That's how I've became obsessed with books! I love to share my passion and opinions with others so one day I just thought "why not a book blog?". At first it was only for Polish speaking readers but now I want to share my love to books with international community of bookworms :) .

Where did the name for your blog come from?

I love the scent of vanilla and I love to read - thats why it's "Vanilla Reads" :) In Polish my blog is named "Waniliowe Czytadła" which means almost the same :)


What was your favorite book when you were a child?

As I mentioned before, the ultimate favourite was "The Six Bullerby Children" but I can't forget about "Harry Potter". I am from the generation that was growing with these books so they definitely made a huge impact on my reading preferences.

What is your favorite genre and why?


It varies. I don't like to "classify" books and judge them by a cover. There are good and bad books in every genre that's why I try to be open for all of them. More often I choose my reads from Chick Lit, Young Adult, New Adult and Fantasy but sometimes I read Crime or Non Fiction books. Although I can tell that I'm not a huge fan of Science Fiction and vampire stories...


How has your reading genres changed as you have gotten older?


At first I was focused mainly on YA and Fantasy genre. When I started studying I've felt the need to read very light and fast reads so I've given chick lits a try. I can say that I don't regret that decision :)

What are you about to start reading and what do you expect of it?

I brought myself two books from my trip to the UK last summer - "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn and "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I've decided to read both of them in January around my birthday. Almost everyone is talking about them so I have high expectations. I even hope that John Green's book will make me cry!


If you buy books then where do you buy them from? Supermarket, Indie Bookshops, Amazon?

If it comes to books translated to Polish or by Polish authors I buy them in Matras (which is a bookstore chain in Poland) or in a book outlet. Physical copies of foreign books - especially popular ones - are not that easy to get here, and if so they are crazy expensive. I am a happy Kindle owner so I use Amazon to buy my English reads.

How many hours do you spend reading a day?

It varies but at least two-three hours a day (or rather a night).

If someone you know recommends a book to you and you hated it what would you do?

I'd share my honest opinion with him. Everyone has different experiences in life that somehow influenced his, what I like to call, "reading sensitivity". Therefore we all like or dislike different books and it's good! Also - bloggers' reviews shouldnt be taken as "holy words" but as a sort of a guide to find reads that may interest us! :)

Who (if anyone) influenced you to start reading?


I think it was my Grandma and Mom. My home was always filled with books and they always were the best Christmas and Birthday presents.


Lastly, what are your wishes and hopes for your blogging future?


I truly hope my blog will develop, my reviews will be better and there will be people who will like to come back and read what I have to say about books. I'd also like to meet new friends from all over the world who loves books like I do. I also take blogging in English as a personal challenge to develop my language skills. Time will tell :)


 
Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions Agata. It was great to have you on my blog! Who will be next? Come and see next friday.

1 Kommentare