Friends Friday: Lindsay of Book Boodle



I’m very happy to welcome you on my blog! You can please introduce yourself to my readers.

Hi, I’m Lindsay and I’m a book review blogger based in Shropshire, England. I work full time so I cram in as much reading and blogging as I can in the evenings and weekends.

I’ve always been a reader; I can remember reading Nancy Drew, anything by Judy Blume, Sweet Valley High when I was young and then as I got into my mid to late teens I started reading my mum’s Danielle Steel novels.

I’m showing my age now but I can remember the author Nina Bawden visiting my middle school where she autographed a book for me. Unfortunately I’ve no longer got the book. I’ve moved on since then and now my favourite author of all time is John Grisham. I know I’m going to pick up one of his books, fly through it and love it. My favourite genres are legal dramas and psychological thrillers but I do get through a fair bit of chick lit as well.


Where do we find your blog and how long have you been blogging / reviewing?


My blog is called Bookboodle and you can find it here http://bookboodle.co.uk

I started blogging upon a friend’s suggestion about 18 months ago and have never looked back really. I can’t believe I’d never thought of it myself and there’s such a massive blog community out there that I never knew existed and would have missed out on.



What’s the best and worst thing about being a book reviewer?


Obviously the best thing is receiving review copies from publishers – who doesn’t like a free book? However being part of the blogging community is just the best – there’s a tremendous amount of support out there and you can chat about all sorts of books with all sorts of people at any time of the day!

The worst thing is time, there’s never enough. I’m probably not alone here but we all have massive ‘to be read’ piles that never seem to decrease. Occasionally I have put myself under pressure to read too much and that can feel a little overwhelming as this is supposed to be a hobby not a chore and I now find myself having to decline books to review if they don’t fit within genres I like.


Do you judge a book by its cover?

Sometimes, yes but then have very often been proved wrong in my assumptions.

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes has a very pink fluffy girly cover which I expected to be a typical fluffy romance novel but was then very surprised in its subject matter of assisted suicide and was one of my favourite novels of 2012.


Which book character would you switch places with?

I think either Skeeter or Aibileen in The Help. Both are very different characters but I absolutely loved this book. I’ve read others set in this era and would love to experience another time. The 60s feel almost like another world now with the differences in technology and equality.

Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?

There’s been some including The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and Tess of the D’Urbervilles; however I think the best one would be Anna Karenina. I chose this as a book club read and tried desperately to read but I massively under-estimated how long it was and extremely long-winded. I got half way through (approx. 400 pages) and gave up – the only book I’ve ever given up on. So, in this instance I preferred the movie.


Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
I try and avoid hardcovers wherever possible. As I read a lot in bed I find them to be heavy and cumbersome; they also cost more money and take up too much room.

I’ve had my Kindle Paperwhite for less than a year as I was determined not to have one but I felt I was missing out on giveaways and review copies once I’d become established with the blogging so bought one. I still buy paperbacks a lot and like to receive them as gifts so I’m probably 50/50 with the paperbacks and Kindle. You can’t beat the feel and smell of a new book!


Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

John Grisham has been one of my favourite authors since my late teens so I would love a Q&A with him – although I’d probably be too star struck and tongue tied to ask my questions!

Also, Harper Lee author of my most favourite novel To Kill a Mockingbird. I’d like to know why she never wrote another novel and did she ever think TKAM would have the success and impact it’s had?


Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person
?

No, I’m sad to say I haven’t. Of course I’ve given books away as gifts but not a book that was special to me in any way.

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions Lindsay. It was great to have you on my blog! Who will be next? Come and see next friday. 


1 Kommentare

  1. Thanks for having me Isabell. The post looks great :)

    ReplyDelete