Friends Friday - Dawn of Crooks on Books


I’m very happy to welcome you on my blog! You can please introduce yourself to my readers.

Hi Isabell, my names Dawn, I live in Leicestershire with my husband, daughter and cat Maurice. I’m a member of our local amateur drama group - although you’ll never find me on stage. I prefer to get involved backstage or I’m often found in the role of producer - my biggest boast is I’ve produced two shows at The Edinburgh Fringe Festival. But, my biggest passion is reading - preferably in the middle of nowhere in my caravan with red wine!

Where do we find your blog and how long have you been blogging / reviewing?

My blog is called Crooks on Books - a name my husband chose that stuck and can be found at crooksonbooks.blogspot.co.uk  I’ve been blogging for several years now. I set up my first blog as a platform to publicise our first trip to The Edinburgh Fringe in 2009. I only began reviewing and blogging about books in Nov 2013. I have always been an avid reader, you’ll never find me without one or my kindle.


Why did you start blogging?

I started blogging at the suggestion of a friend, she’d started a blog and was reviewing books and kept telling me how much fun she was having, I read two or three books a week and hadn’t really thought about sharing my thoughts until she suggested it. Mainly because I don’t read reviews until after I’ve read the book.

What’s the best and worst thing about being a book reviewer?

Oh, without a doubt the best thing about being a reviewer is the fantastic people I’ve met through my blog and through twitter. The blogger/author network is amazing and is not a closed circle. Everyone is made welcome and support is there for each other tweeting about books and reviews. The first time a ‘famous’ author responded to a tweet was a OMG moment, I told everyone - LOL. The worst thing is - I haven’t found one yet! Other than I now never struggle thinking what to read next my TBR pile is so big from all the wonderful recommendations - for everyone I knock off I add at least two.

Last page: read it first or wait till the end?

Most definitely wait til the end - don’t get me wrong I’ve sometimes been tempted but no way the last page should be the last page.

Do you judge a book by it’s cover?

Yes! I’m shallow - sucker for a pretty cover, but…who isn’t? If I’m in a book shop, choosing, the first thing I pick up are the ones with beautiful covers, then I read the back cover, then the first page.

Which book character would you switch places with?

I would perhaps like to change places with Pippi Long Stockings - what great adventures did she have? Just thinking about those books brings back happy childhood memories.

Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?

No, not because they don’t exist but I usually either watch the film or read the book - I very rarely do both. I watched two very disappointing films after reading the books, they put me off. First there was Flowers in the Attic, I loved all the books - the film however, wasn’t true to the story, I was very disappointed. Then there was P. S. I Love you - one of the most powerful books I’d ever read, I sobbed throughout the whole book it was beautiful - I watched the film and yes it was good and I did cry but it wasn’t as deep and heartfelt as the book. I am going to make two exceptions this year though and watch Before I Go To Sleep and Gone Girl when they come out. I hope I’ve not jinxed them!

What is your current read, your last read and the book you'll read next?

I’m reading The Right Side of Mr Wrong by Jane Linfoot, my last read was Keep Your Friends Close by Paula Daley and my next one is Someone Else’s Skin by Sarah Hilary.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

Absolutely prefer paperbacks, closely followed by ebooks. Although I do love a hardback to look at on a shelf, just not practical for carrying round and reading in bed.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

Wow, what a question? All of them! But, in reality I’d probably be struck dumb and just stand there bright red andawestruck I wouldn’t be able to speak. I have been to The Hay Festival though and thought that was the perfect way to have a ‘look’ at some authors and got to listen to their thoughts on their latest book and plot explanations.

Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?

I always give books as part of the gifts for birthday’s and christmas to all of my friends and no matter what present I buy for my friends children the parcel always includes a book. I feel it’s so important to teach children at a young age about the pleasure and beauty of books.
 
Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions Dawn. It was great to have you on my blog! Who will be next? Come and see next friday.


1 Kommentare